DePaul University, College of Computing and Digital Media, Chicago, Illinois 2017 – present
Director, Institute for Professional Development; Executive in Residence; Professional Lecturer
Responsible for further developing the Institute for Professional Development which assists both individuals and businesses in keeping pace with the rapid development of computer technologies through a variety of intensive certificate programs. Teach graduate and undergraduate level courses in various areas of computer science.
Infocology Inc., Highland Park, Illinois 2017 – present
Consulting in all areas of Information Technology: strategy, implementation, transformation.
Catalina, St. Petersburg, Florida 2013 – 2016
Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
Responsible for leading all aspects of the global technology function, enabling the company’s personalized digital media network powered by the largest database of CPG shopper purchase history in the world for both manufacturers and retailers with a focus on driving improvements to Catalina’s global enterprise architecture through technology development, implementation and operation.
- Led the complete modernization of core transaction, data and analytic systems, and a transformation of company culture to be more entrepreneurial, innovative and competitive.
Thomson Reuters, Marketplaces Division, New York, New York 2012 – 2013
Chief Information Officer
Responsible for all aspects of technology for the leading global provider of over-the-counter foreign exchange trading solutions that enable trades to be executed across all the trading paradigms for the inter-bank, bank-to-broker and bank-to-customer trading communities, with many thousands of institutional clients worldwide; joined FX Alliance, a leading independent global provider of electronic foreign exchange trading solutions, in April 2012 and the firm was acquired by Thomson Reuters in August 2012.
NYSE Euronext, New York, New York 2001 – 2012
Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer
Responsible for all aspects of technology for the largest global exchange in the world.
Also served concurrently as the Chief Technology Officer and Chief Innovation Officer.
Transformed a collection of many IT groups across three continents into one high-performance global IT team. Has a track record of building outstanding teams, organizations and cultures.
- Developed a culture of innovation that led to, among other things, the implementation of a global trading (multi-asset) architecture to support the low-latency, high throughput and reliability/security requirements in a regulated environment. The architecture handles trillions of dollars flowing through the systems at millions of transactions/second with response times of microseconds. This platform is used both internally and for the customers of the Commercial Technology division of the firm. In general, produced efforts are company-changing and often industry-changing, and helped to set the standard for others in the industry to follow.
- Simultaneously designed, developed and deployed the company’s two new data centers in New Jersey and the UK. At a combined cost of more than $600 million and sized at 700,000 square feet, these state-of-the-art data centers are considered to be unmatched globally in serving the capital markets community. These two projects were delivered on schedule and under budget.
- Developed the financial industry’s first cloud, the Capital Markets Community Platform, radically changing how market participants interact with the markets.
Lowered annual IT operating costs by almost 50% to the current level of ~$500 million and 1,400 staff. All this was done in addition to integrating three major mergers/acquisitions, domestic and international (NYSE-Archipelago, NYSE-Euronext, NYSE-American Stock Exchange), and several smaller ones.
- Previous position held: Chief Technology Officer, Archipelago Holdings, Inc., Chicago, Illinois (2001-2006). Responsible for all aspects of technology for the Archipelago Exchange (the second largest stock exchange in the world), the first totally open, fully electronic stock market for New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange and NASDAQ securities in the United States; company merged with the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in March 2006 to form the NYSE Group. In April 2007, the NYSE Group merged with Euronext to form NYSE Euronext.
NextCard, Inc., San Francisco, California 2000 – 2001
Senior Vice President, Chief Information/Technology Officer
Responsible for all aspects of technology, including software and database engineering, operations, architecture and quality assurance for this leading Internet provider of consumer credit.
AdKnowledge, Inc., Palo Alto, California 1998 – 2000
Vice President, Chief Information Officer
Responsible for all computer operations, database architecture, development of databased products and MIS development for this leading Internet advertising management and analysis firm (originally part of the Kleiner Perkins portfolio of companies, acquired by CMGI, Inc., in November 1999).
Fidelity Investments, Boston, Massachusetts 1994 – 1998
Vice President, Corporate Management Information Systems
Responsible for the development of management information architecture, systems and underlying data warehouses that reflect all aspects of the operations of Fidelity on an integrated (across 40+ business units, as well as, external information) basis for use by management for monitoring, analysis, evaluating and planning; advised Fidelity Ventures on candidates for investment.
Budget Rent a Car Corporation, Lisle, Illinois 1991 – 1994
Vice President, Market Planning (1994 revenue ~$2 billion; 3200 locations worldwide)Managed a group responsible for worldwide pricing, marketing research, new product development, planning and decision support systems for marketing and sales applications. Designed and implemented Budget’s first comprehensive customer satisfaction program and determined strategic points for marketing leverage. Guided the development of new business strategies in Europe, Australia, Latin America and the Caribbean. Designed and implemented a system to assist in real-time marketing decisions, including yield/revenue management.
DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois 1986 – 1994 (evenings)
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Computer Science
Taught graduate and undergraduate level courses in various areas of computer science.
The Quaker Oats Company, Chicago, Illinois 1981 – 1991
Director, Decision Support Services
Managed a group whose role was the design, implementation and use of decision support systems to support decision making and impact business tactics and strategies in all functional areas of the company. The support provided by this group included the development and administration of large databases and highly interactive systems to deliver the data with analytical capabilities in a multi-vendor hardware/software environment.
Continental Bank, Chicago, Illinois 1980 – 1981
Designed and implemented financial decision support applications in such areas as portfolio performance measurement, tax computation and trust administration.
University of Illinois
- Ph.D. Chemistry
- M.B.A. Marketing and Finance (ranked first in graduating class)
- M.S. Chemistry
- B.S. Biological Sciences and Chemistry (graduated with honors and distinction)
- M.S. Computer Science
- 2016 CIO of the Year finalist, Tampa Bay Business Journal; awarded Big Data and Analytic Project of the Year.
- Named by Aternity as one of the Top 30 socially savvy CIOs in the U.S. in 2013.
- Inducted into the CIO Hall of Fame in 2012; cited by the judges as “clearly one of the most innovative and transformational CIOs ever.”
- Selected as one of Computerworld magazine’s Premier 100 IT Leaders for 2012.
- Featured as the subject of one chapter of the book CIOs at Work by Ed Yourdon (2011).
- Recognized as one of the Top 10 CIOs on Wall Street in 2010 by Securities Technology Monitor magazine.
- Recognized as one of the top CIOs on Wall Street in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 by Wall Street & Technology magazine.
- Received InfoWorld Award as leader of one of the Top 100 IT projects of 2009.
BOARDS OF DIRECTORS
- Direct Edge
- Business Performance Innovation Network
- Enterprise Efficiency
- Hitachi Data Systems
- Morgenthaler Ventures/Canvas Venture Fund
- NewVantage Partners
- Sutter Hill Ventures
- Wall Street & Technology
- American Friends of The Hebrew University
- DePaul University College of Computing and Digital Media
- FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology)
- Kellogg (Northwestern University) Technology Strategy Summit
- Tampa Bay Technology Forum
- University of Illinois College of Business Administration